Skin Care The Natural Way
The beauty of using organic or natural ingredients for your facial masks is that they do not strip your skin of the natural oils it produces all by itself already. Most conventional skincare products that use synthetic chemicals to “help” your skin are more likely to damage your skin rather than care for it. Crazy, isn’t it?
Products that substitute healthy skin for a brief period of soft skin with the cocktail of chemicals infused in the mixture to make it foam and add fragrance makes for unhappy skin and bank balance. Face it, buying facial masks are expensive and once you start using them you have to continue to achieve the same results.
The good news is you don’t have to fork out that much when you use what nature has already given us – food! Read on to discover easy ways to nourish and care for your skin the natural way using foods like honey, avocado, banana and a few more…
First – Know Your Skin Type
This is easy to determine. There are 4 different types of skin.
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Combination Skin
- Sensitive skin
Your skin is affected by your age (like you didn’t know that) but it also is greatly affected by genes, stress levels, medications and diet.
To find out what type of skin you have, wash your face and dry with a clean towel. Wait for about 30 min. Remember to wash your hands before touching your face. Use a piece of rice paper and drape it over your skin. If the paper sticks in multiple places you have oily skin, if it sticks only to your T zone (your forehead and nose area) you have a combination skin and if it does not stick you have dry skin. Sensitive and sun damaged skin can be recognised by skin that has an extreme reaction to new products and which becomes easily inflamed.
By using this as your guide you can easily determine the mask that your skin will love. Remember to use organic goodies where possible.
OK. Let’s get to it then…
1. Caring For Normal Skin
For normal skin you can use a smooth mask with banana, honey and either a lemon or orange. It’s as easy as 1-2-3. These masks can be used as much as three times a week and as little as once a week.
- 1 ripe banana (you can keep ripe bananas in the freezer. Let it thaw before using)
- 1 tbsp local honey
- An orange or a lemon
- Mix the banana and honey together
- Add a few drops of lemon or orange juice
- Apply to face for 15 minutes before rinsing with a cool wash-cloth or a steaming warm wash-cloth
2. Caring For Dry Skin
For dry skin we have the avocado and honey mask. This mask is perfect for mature and dry skin. Avocado is known as nature’s super moisturizer.
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup honey
- Mash the avocado in a bowl and then stir in the honey.
- Apply to the skin and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse your face with a cool washcloth.
3. Caring For An Oily Skin
- 50ml water or yogurt (free range and rhbst hormone free)
- 1/2 cup of oats.
- 5 or 6 drops of rose water or lavender essential oil.
To make it into a paste, you can either add water, yoghurt, cow milk or goats milk. Crush the oats and mix the ingredients together to form a paste. It is ready to use! Save a little of the paste to use as a scrub to exfoliate your skin. This can be used for combination to oily skin.
4. Caring For A Combination Skin
For combination skin you can use the rose mask. This is perfect for balancing the oil and dry patches out.
Optional: 6 fresh rose petals
- 2 tsp rosewater
- 1 tsp natural yogurt, room temperature (not low fat or non-fat, and must be free range and RHBST hormone free)
- 1 tsp of runny local honey (to get honey runny, warm it on the stove for a couple of seconds).
- Soak the rose petals in water and then crush them in a bowl sock fancy coupon
- Add the rosewater, yogurt and honey
- Mix well and apply to your skin
- Leave on for 10 minutes
5. Caring For Sensitive Skin
Caring for a sensitive skin can be very difficult, not knowing what will cause an adverse reaction. This following recipe will do wonders! Although, for sensitive skin, we always recommend doing a patch test first.
- 1 cup natural yogurt (we like it just-out-of-the-fridge cold, free range and RHBST hormone free) or water
- cup oatmeal (any type of basic oatmeal will work)
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Apply to the skin for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off mask with a warm washcloth